Monday, August 20, 2007

Open World 2007

In the Comments section of Tim Hall's recent musing on the new two-tier ACE programme, Doug Burns said:

"Once you put together lost wages or fees, accommodation and flights, it doesn’t take long before this becomes a serious financial commitment. I wonder sometimes whether people who attend presentations whilst being on company wages and expenses really appreciate that."

What contractors sometimes fail to appreciate is that it isn't necessarily easier for permies, just different. We still have to ask the company to pick up the tab for our expenses (not to mention lost billing for us consultants), and the company reserves the right to say, "No, you cannot go". For some reason Open World is a harder sale than UKOUG. Perhaps our bosses think going to San Francisco might be more of a jolly than going to Birmingham....

Fortunately I have have some supportive managers at LogicaCMG and my business case has finally been approved. So I'll have to dig out that company polo shirt again.

Join Me at Oracle OpenWorld Connect!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What contractors sometimes fail to appreciate is that it isn't necessarily easier for permies, just different.

Agreed. In fact, as you pointed out, the company is in a stronger position to say 'no'.

However, if they do say yes, it doesn't cost you a penny. But that's just one of the permie benefits and I've no argument with that. I just wonder how many permies would take holidays to go, never mind unpaid leave, because that's always an option (one that I know Peter Scott used recently).

Still, there's nothing worse than a whining contractor and I try to avoid that.

Perhaps our bosses think going to San Francisco might be more of a jolly than going to Birmingham....

Really? Do you think so?

LOL

APC said...

>> I just wonder how many permies
>> would take holidays to go, never
>> mind unpaid leave, because that's
>> always an option

Doug, you make a fair point. I wouldn't take leave (paid or unpaid) to attend Open World.
Apart from any other considerations I have a family, and - interesting though Oracle is - I wouldn't squander a week of holiday on hanging out with geeks when I could be spending it with my son.

>> here's nothing worse than a
>> whining contractor and I try
>> to avoid that.

Yeah I try to avoid whining contractors too. Trouble is, right now I'm surrounded by them. Only joking guys!

Cheers, APC

Joel Garry said...

In the '80s, I was a big supporter of user groups, to the point of demanding it in order to take a permanent job.

One place agreed (DECUS Las Vegas was something like the second week of the job!), and I told them I would be gone for the five days. Thursday night they call me about something, then casually mention they expected me to be there the next day - it's about a 6 hour drive for me. They told me they were counting Sunday as the first day... needless to say, I didn't last there long. Partly because I met the guy I replaced at the meeting, and learned some very interesting things... :-)

Some other places I did take unpaid leave for it.

Now as a contractor, it does seem more... immediate and personal as to whether it is worth it to go. I'm not going to OpenWorld. The 11g hype just will be too much.

Be sure to wear some flowers in your hair, guys.

word: qwhpe
2nd word: snflwpkc

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't squander a week of holiday on hanging out with geeks

Squander? You jest, surely?

:-)

Anonymous said...

I just couldn't let it lie.

See you there.