Friday, April 04, 2008

Big zips

I have just downloaded the database 10.0.2.4 patch for Windows 32bit. It is a zip file which weighs in at a cool 1,034,080,256 bytes. Opening it up reveals a single directory called Disk1. Well I suppose it's one way of maintaining the fiction that Oracle installs fit on a single disk. This is the first time I have come across a patch which is too big to fit on a CD-R. It's a pain, because DVD burners are not yet standard kit and certainly all our servers still just have CD drives.

4 comments:

Tim... said...

I thought this was going to be a story about large comedy trousers. :(

I put all software on a file server and use NFS or Samba to mount it on each machine as needed. Damn sight quicker than messing around with CDs or DVDs. Not good if you're moving between sites. I use a memory stick for that...

Cheers

Tim...

Laurent Schneider said...

when I ordered 9.2.0.7 for AIX by Metalink, I did get hit one file splitted on two CDs :-)

Anonymous said...

Reminds me of a colleague who years ago complained that every time he tried to send an email attachment it bounced back, his defence was "It's only one file", the fact that the file was a 300Mb attachment didn't seem to feature in the logic ;)

p.s. Tim, we're on the same wavelength, I had exactly the same thought about the trousers.

John.

Anonymous said...

12g will come on a Bluray disk, and you'll have to network a PS3 to read it.

It's funny because it's true.